I attend Missouri Baptist University. This wasn't my first college of choice. I had applied and been accepted to Greenville, when my youth pastor told me I should at least take a tour of Mobap and see if I liked it. I decided it couldn't hurt to go, so I did. And I loved it. Everything worked out perfectly and I knew that this was were God wanted me to be.
So I went to Mobap as a Christian Ministry major. I was going to be a youth pastor. Not of my own choice, but because this is what God was calling me to. About halfway through my freshman year, I began thinking about history. I thought maybe I should add a history minor or even switch my major over to history. One of the wisest pastors I ever knew was a history major and I loved how he could relate it in his sermons, explaining the historical context of the passage. So I contemplated this for a while. One day, I was sitting in the cafeteria when the head of the history department (whom I had never talked to before) walked up to me, put his hand on my shoulder, and said, "Ya know? I could see you being a history major.". Then he just walked away. I was in awe. I knew this was God. There was no question about it. So my mind was made up. I was going to be a history major.
But this left me with a question. Why, if I was being called to major in history, did God initially call me to be a Christian ministry major? Could I have been mistaken with what God wanted? No! I had never felt such peace like I felt when I decided on that initial major. I had been so stressed about going into my senior year of high school not knowing what I wanted to major in during college. Then God revealed this to me and all my worries went away. Could I be wrong about switching my major? No again! It would have been too much of a coincidence with me thinking about switching my major to history and the head of the history department telling me he could see me being a history major. Also, it is not often that God speaks audibly to us. When that happens, you have no excuse not to act. Then what? I prayed about it for a while, then it hit me. If I would have started out as a history major, I would not have gone to Mobap. I would have gone somewhere closer to home. So, I knew that Mobap was definitely the right place for me.
However, another question had arisen from this switch in majors. What am I supposed to do with a history major? Was I still supposed to be a youth pastor? Honestly, I didn't feel called to that anymore. Was I supposed to be a teacher? No,that wouldn't be fair to the students. Then what? I've been praying about it and I've come to a conclusion: I have no idea. However, I have learned something. God has a plan. He was the one who called me to this. He did that for a reason. And in his time, He would show me what that reason would be. Does this scare me? Absolutely! That's natural. However, this has caused me to put my trust in God more heavily. And in a weird way, it's kind of exciting and reassuring. I know that if nothing else, I'm in God's will. What more could I want? His plan for my life is infinitely better than anything I could come up with on my own. And I encourage any of you who might happen to read this. Trust God. Trust His plan. In the end, even if we can't see it now, it will be for the best. That's what I've been doing the past couple years. I'm so far from where I thought I would be. And I'm loving every minute of it. God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment